Friday, November 10, 2017

Living Free, Yet On Guard

In the lot I have been given, there is an amazing amount of freedom I feel. I know God's word and am constantly learning more. I live a free life and for that I am grateful. I live free in God's word thanks to a Savior and for that I am grateful as well.

In the same lot I am given, I live on guard, on guard for what's next, what person or group will have a problem with something I said or my husband said, trying my best to stay politically correct, yet also living free sounds kinda ironic right? Well we are to care about others, and that matter of the heart will make you want to love others and not hurt...so I don't live just by the truth that I know,  but I also live by grace and because I know God, our Lord and Savior, I have the amazing ability to extend that grace to others that I come in contact with, hence,  we are a light in a world of darkness.  I wear thick skin but practice life with a delicate, loving heart. Although, at times,  I feel like I am being pummeled by a rushing river.  I feel like a stone floating against waves, rocks and debris, then God extends his loving arms and an amazing amount of grace to guide me, to comfort me, to heal me.

In my devotion, I was reading in 2Peter 3 today and this scripture stood out to me: 

"Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. 18But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen," (2 Pet. 3:17-18).

Here we are reminded to be on "guard" and to "grow". 

Growth
This requires some effort on our part - just like anything, it's a constant reciprocal feat that we all must strive for. Not salvation, but the relationship aspect, the freedom, the peace, the hope, it all comes from growth.  Salvation,  is a one time stop you get it and you have it, but the growth is what I speak of, it is a constant process. Growth is hearing God's word, studying God's word and applying it to your life daily. 

Guard
This requires effort too, guard your heart, guard your mind, guard what you have, be alert, be on alert. Satan is a lion seeking who he may devour(1Peter 5:8), so be ready. In order to be able to do that though- one must grow in God's word, then you can put on the whole armor and be able to stand. Don't be carried away, don't allow yourself to fall just because you were not on guard, or because you were lazy. Be strong in God !! 

He has given us everything we need, no, we are not perfect, but knowing that doesn't give us excuse either. Living free doesn't mean you get grace without truth, it means you cling to your heavenly father with all you got. You grow, you glow, and you can do this with God's help. You don't want to go back,  because you have seen the other side, you have seen what sin and hurt, and pain looks like without God,  and you never want to go back to that. So you live on guard, you live in His word, in His shadow, and when  you want to look down, you guard your heart and you look up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcoming in 2023 Embracing the Patchwork Quilt

I clearly remember my Nanny telling me about the quilt she had for me. She explained how they would save their old dresses and cut it up int...