Saturday, April 23, 2016

Gomerisms

In my Hosea Bible study, today is about Gomerisms. 

What is a Gomerism? 
Like Israel, we are very capable of bad choices, falling away, and bad habits. 

In Hosea 2: 2 
“ But now bring charges against Israel-your mother- 
for she is no longer my wife, and I am no longer her husband
Tell her to remove her prostitute’s make up from her face and the clothing that exposes her breasts.

Why are we similar? Well we don’t always see God as husband ,there is not love there, there is only a submissive attitude such as a master or Lord instead of love

Though we should see him as Lord, there is a fine balance that includes LOVE not just submission but a reciprocity of LOVE and LOVE is a motivator. 

As I studied on, we were to read some scriptures and then put our interpretation beside them, then put our culture equivalent then put a % by what we struggle with , then write about the one with the largest % and talk about it with someone.  

Though I may struggle or have struggled with all of them, I picked the second one, mis-directing my worship which was originally Hosea 4:12 which if you read some Bible versions of it, you are like …. HUH? but it was great the way this writer (Jennifer Rothschild) help  me go through it and decipher how it could relate to the here and now. 

Hosea 4:12 (ASV) 
My people ask counsel at their stock, and their staff declareth unto them; for the spirit of whoredom hath cause them to err, and they have played the harlot, departing from under their God. ( Though I do not consult with idols or a “diviners rod” {psychic} I may as well if I am not consulting with God through giving him my time and worship. )

Though I don’t struggle with leaving God, or departing from him, I struggle with focus. I slowly allow other things to get in between me and my time alone with God, my worship, my quite time and before long, “I am mis-directing my worship” and serving other Gods… 
What are my potential God’s ? Biggest err, or form of whoredom is trusting in self-selfism ( I can do this) Which is ultimately a lack of faith and not trusting in God who is bigger and way more equipped to handle even the smallest of problems. 
Selfism
Family
Career
School 
Social Media 

What is your Gomerisim? What do you struggle with?  Are you trusting God like a Master that sits on a throne or are you treating him like a husband with love and trust? 

Gomerisms put us on the wrong path as they did the Israelites. We get so side-tracked and inward focused that we loose site of what we should be doing and who we are….. 

We are HIS…. and we should live like it. I am loved, I am accepted, I am complete !!!

 (Rom 9:24-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcoming in 2023 Embracing the Patchwork Quilt

I clearly remember my Nanny telling me about the quilt she had for me. She explained how they would save their old dresses and cut it up int...